Thursday, December 2, 2010

I was desperate

Today I needed to get my run on.  For one, my training planned called for a 4 mile run.  Secondly, and most importantly, I knew it was going to help me survive the day.

Thing 3 had the worst night ever in his 4 months.  I literally saw every hour on the clock, but that doesn't mean I got to sleep for a hour.  Nothing was working.  Nursing didn't work.  Sleeping next to mommy didn't work.  Playing didn't make him happy.  Nothing was working.

I knew I needed to go run.  I needed that dose of therapy in order to make it through the day.  However, Thing 2, who is going through the terrible twos, wanted nothing to do with it.  He just wanted to sit in the car (strange kid).

So, I did what most desperate moms might do, I bribed him.   We have close to 10 lbs. worth of Halloween candy hidden in our closet.  I picked out a few pieces and coaxed him out of the car and into the stroller.  We only had one more minute of screaming and we were ready to go.  Finally. 

I had a pretty good run.  I ran 4.23 miles in 44:55 (10:37 min./mile) pushing Thing 2 and Thing 3.

I'm amazed at how far I have come.  Over a year ago, before I was pregnant with Thing 3, my average pace was around 12+ min./miles.  In only the 4 months I have dropped that average pace by almost a minute and a half.  I have ran the longest run I have ever ran I my life (10.3 miles).  I set a new PR for a 5K.   And I have lost all my baby weight from Thing 3.  (I still have the weight from Thing 1 and Thing 2 to lose, but I will get there.)  In 4 weeks I will run in my first half marathon.  I have only missed 2 training runs.  And I have done all of this while nursing and raising 3 boys under 4 while my husband travels 4 days a week.  I am really proud of myself.  I haven't let very much get in my way.  And the boys have a happier mommy because of it.  I guess somehow my run today helped me see how far I have come.

Have a great day!  Hopefully I will get a nap.

1 comment:

  1. Running is such an amazing outlet for stress, and as a mom there's just nothing better, faster or more productive to losing weight than running! Congratulations on the weight loss, that leftover baby junk is real tough to work through!

    ReplyDelete