Sunday, February 27, 2011

I'm back, with a vengence

Obviously, I have taken a little time off from blogging, but I have also taken a full week off from running.  After making my decision not to run the full marathon in May, I still was not at peace with my running.  Something still wasn't right.  So I decided to take the week off completely from running.  I did this for several reasons.  The first is my right foot is still bothering me a little bit, so I decided to rest.  Secondly, I didn't feel really great at the beginning of the week, so I took that as a sign that I needed to slow down a little bit.  On Wednesday, I spent the day packing.  I decided to take the boys on an impromptu trip to deep east Texas and it literally takes me a day to pack for all four of us while they are around.  I also had a doctors appointment on Thursday morning and we were leaving Thursday afternoon.  So instead of stressing about my runs, I decided it was best to take the week off and spend a little time deciding where to go next with my running and such.

After my wonderful weekend of fishing, walking through the woods and pastures, and just hanging out with my parents and my boys.  I am ready to get back to running.  My week off really gave me so much needed time to get other things in order in my house, which often get pushed back so that I can get my runs done.  I also gave me some free time, something that I usually do not get at all during the week and very, very rarely on the weekends. 

Ultimately I have decided that since I will not be putting in the super long runs anymore (at least for a while) that I am going to spend some time focusing on getting my whole body fit.  Running has done wonders for my endurance and heart health, but it is time I get serious about adding weight training back into my life.  My upper body (at least my right arm) is pretty strong from holding my boys all the time.  However, I would love to get some definition in it.  My legs, have always been pretty strong, but they have lost a little bit of tone.  My midsection however, is a hot mess.  Three kids, 3.5 years, has really taken its toll on the midsection, so it is time to get it back into shape. 

I also am going to work on getting my body limber again.  Don't get me wrong, I am no gymnast, however I used to be much more flexible than I am now and I would love to regain some of that back. 

It is also time to start cleaning up my eating even more.  I know I can eat even better, so it is time to get it going.  I know that this will also make me feel better and have more energy and I need all the energy I can get.  I am also hoping that the change in my thyroid medication will help too.  So this is a great time to get going.

I have one month until my second half marathon (Rock'n'Roll Dallas) and I hope to PR in that race, so I need to really need to get my booty back on track, especially since I have now essentially taken one month off.  Oh well!

Lastly, the weather here in Texas is starting to be much more spring like.  I know there is at least one more cold snap in our future (cause there always is), but for the most part the weather is great.  I am so excited!

It's time to get r done!

1 comment:

  1. I'm with you with the limber part...I definitely need to get my stretch on! Good luck on your come back! I know you'll rock it!

    ReplyDelete