Monday, February 21, 2011

Sorry it has been so quiet

Sorry it has been so quiet around here over the past week.  Last week my running was going better, but then Wednesday morning, Thing 1 woke up with a fever, so that derailed my plans until Saturday. 

Saturday I was scheduled to run 16 miles.  I have ran 16 miles one other time, so I wasn't too worried about my run.  I woke up Saturday morning and everything was going great.  Thing 3 woke up early enough so I could feed him and still get out the door not long after 6am so that I would not spend all morning out running. 

My run started ok.  It took me a little bit to get into a good rhythm.  Finally about 4 miles in, I fell into a rhythm, a slow rhythm, but it was a rhythm.  However, around mile 6 my right hamstring started hurting again, like it did last weekend.  But it wasn't too bad, and I knew that at mile 8 I would be taking a break to potty, switch out water bottles and I figured I could stretch then. 

After my pit stop I headed out for my second 8 mile loop, that was different from my first.  I should have just done the same loop twice.  My second loop was spent running in the grass along side a hill.  Dodging way too many cars.  It was not fun.  I had no idea those rodes were as busy as they were.  When I drive down them there are never any cars.  I had a hard time finding my rhythm again.  My left foot started to hurt, probably because my right hamstring was starting to hurt so bad that I was running funny and didn't realize it, but I kept chugging along. 

Around mile 13, I was mentally done.  My hamstring was screaming, my foot was in so much pain it hurt to walk.  I was tired of hills and cars.  At this point my pace went from around 11 minute miles to 13 minute miles.  I was walking/jogging so that I could get home.  At mile 14, I remember thinking to myself that I had only 2 miles left and that I could do it.  Then, I had a terrible sharp pain shoot through my entire left foot.  I knew I needed to stop.  I didn't need to hurt myself.  I still had to get home.  I needed to be able to walk so that I could at least take care of my boys.  So the last mile took me 21 minutes as I walked back to my house.

As I was walking that last mile, I called my husband and asked him to have an ice bath ready.  I hadn't taken an ice bath since college.  But I knew that it would numb the pain my lower body was feeling. 

The rest of Saturday was spent at home playing with the boys.  However, I was having a hard time nursing Thing 3.  He just never seemed to be satisfied.  I think I have finally come to the conclusion that long runs, like 14+ miles just take too much out of my body.  I have always had a hard time producing milk, so adding long runs on top of that just doesn't work for me. 

Thus, I have come to the conclusion that a May 1 marathon may not be in my best interest at the this time.  For one, I have missed 3+ weeks of training thanks to the ridiculous weather and my oldest son being sick.  I don't have a strong enough base to be able to miss that much training and still be able to perform.  Sure I could probably do the marathon, but it would be a super miserable experience.  Secondly, it is more important to me (and financially a better option) to be able to nurse Thing 3 as long as possible.  If every 14+ mile run is going to wreak havoc on his ability to feed, then maybe I need to lay off for a while.  Also, my right knee has not enjoyed my attempted long runs the last two weekends.  Lastly, the May 1 marathon is on a Sunday, which means that after I finished I would have a 3 hour drive home that same day.  My husband would have to fly out Monday morning, which means that I would be alone to care for all three boys.  Going up and down stairs, holding them, and all that fun stuff on a completely exhausted body.  It wouldn't be fair to my boys.  

I know I have flip flopped on this marathon the whole time.  It would be awesome to say that I ran my first marathon 9 months after having my 3rd child.  I know that if I had not had a 3 week disruption in my training schedule, I would still be going after my first marathon. However, due to circumstances that I can't control (and lack of a treadmill), I think that it might be best to hold off on a marathon for now and train for a fall marathon.  At least the summer here in Texas allows you to train for a marathon all summer long!  I just want to go into my first marathon fully prepared, I don't have enough of a base to go into a marathon this under prepared.  

So the reason it has been so long since my last post (besides a sick kid), is because this decision has been weighing heavily on my mind.  I have spent hours trying to figure out what to do.  I hate to quit, but at the same time I don't want to attempt a marathon and it be a completely terrible experience, causing me to never want to do one again. 

So here is where I now stand.  

Hope everyone has had a great weekend!     

1 comment:

  1. Aimee, I think you are being very wise. Dont beat yourself up. I agree with being fully prepared for your marathon. I am planning on running my first full in 2012.

    You can now run without feeling pressure. Find the Joy in your runs again.

    ReplyDelete